October 30, 2013

Earthquake last night



It’s quite unbelievable to think about last night’s incidence. Though it was a feeble shake, it suddenly recapped me of previous year’s lethal incident. 

It occurred at 12:04 am sharp. I was up due to some work. As soon as I stood up, the walls enclosing me trembled. I was helpless and couldn’t do anything. I was abruptly reminded of the mock drill demonstrated by one of our friends in the school. Fortunately, the shake subsided after a minute. Had it been for some more shake, I would have gotten under the table. 

It dreaded me. I could not sleep no more. The thought of aftershock haunted me. 

What panicked me more was the condition of house. It was attached as an extra room to the existing house. One could see lots of crack developed over the walls. The roofing’s and windows are also not so strong. And in such frail house was me wide awake in the dead of the night deprived of sleep.

Outside, the dogs were hollering wildly. Inside, I was totally wrapped up in fear. I was oscillating in between “to go or not to go out”.

Two hours of unrelieved thoughts over a minutes’ shake eventually brought me an intermittent sleep. But the fear still lingered.
With myriad of prayers said, I went back to sleeping. 

In the morning I woke up to find if it was the real shake or the shake left by my neighbor because it has been pretty long time since his girl friend last visited him. No doubt, it was real quake.


No comments:

Post a Comment