August 8, 2016

The Japanese way.

I am almost 5 months old in Japan. Let me share few of my unique reflections so far.

It is universally acknowledged fact that punctuality is everything here. So I will not shed light on it, for it may appear redundant to many.

It isn’t astounding to see people automatically queue up for anything that could possibly create a mass havoc, be it in a spacious supermarket or rush-hour traffic. Initially, I wondered how such a great feat could be achieved with a swift spontaneity while in some parts of the world even with the draconian measures and directions, people fail to heed and create scenes now and then.

Moreover, it is uncommon to see pedestrians violate the traffic rules here. So far I have not been a witness to any pedestrians crossing the road at a point other than designated areas or traffic signals. Such is the level of mental faculties Japanese people have evolved.

Another trend that calls for attention is their prompt response to works like fixing potholed roads or malfunctioned conduits. It would not be too much to say the road that suffer cracks or potholes at the dawn are fixed by the dusk, if not on the other day. Furthermore, it is assured that the work doesn’t create any conflicts with the usual activities and keeps it going round the clock. And the fashion in which they dispatch the duty is just awe-inspiring- systematic, safe and elegant. Any passerby will involuntarily stop to admire it, sneak a look, and fancy the same in their home countries.

I now conceive why Japan is labelled as one of the safest countries across the globe. Initially, I had no idea how backbreaking it is to fetch a sim card here. Back in Bhutan, getting a sim card done is not a big deal so long as you have the device and someone known Bhutanese. It may scarcely take around twenty minutes to settle upon few procedural works that would ask your personal details. Next, you’re all ready to hit the line.

But Japan works in mysterious ways. Nothing comes in easy  package here.

Weeks back, I was stumped to the brink of quitting the sim card. At one time when I went for a credit card, they inquired on my phone number and on another occasion, credit card when I applied for a phone number. At first, I found it crazy of Japanese to have created such a protracted procedures and incommode customers by asking series of documents. Gradually I took to the credence that similar process had better be introduced in Bhutan too, for what seem like tedium to customers at the outset, the larger purpose at the end of the day is to keep troubles at bay.

A population of near 130 million and a top consumerist on the index, it is surprising one will hardly butt against trashes. Take a stroll along the street or travel in the subway, there is no refusing the roads and underground pavements are well-kept. Talk about cleanliness and it will be difficult even to spot dust on the leaves. It took me at least two months to marginally begrime my white shirt and shoes.

Believe it or not, street dogs are hardly seen around and ass are retained in the zoo for display. Not to mention the warm charisma of sober Japanese, even late night drunkards are well disciplined and intend no harsh feelings for anyone stranger.


A fascinating country where every waking hour is a new soul awakening experiences, I shall keep turning until the last page and remain inspired for the rest of my days. However somewhere deep within, the place I call home is dearly yearned.





2 comments:

  1. Keep coming, more of your Japan stories. I've always been fascinated with Japan. I hope I get to visit it one day, very soon. :)

    How long will you be there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the visit. I will be here until March or April 2019. Look forward to see u here.

    ReplyDelete